So, here I wanted to share the directions, recipe and what to do if you don’t want to make extra starters on baking day OR if all you want to do is make starters and not bake the bread til another day.
Amish bread is super easy and very difficult to mess up. When given a bag of starter from a friend and you feel a little bit overwhelmed, just take a deep breath and DO NOT overthink it whatever you do
That seems to be my downfall to anything I attempt and fail at, it’s because I over-thought the process and stressed when all I needed to do was simply follow the instructions and see what happens.
Ok, are you relaxed? Take a deep breath. Feeling better? 😄 Now, let’s begin.
Amish Friendship Bread Starter Daily Instructions
- Day 1. Do nothing.
- Day 2: Mash the bag.
- Day 3: Mash the bag.
- Day 4: Mash the bag.
- Day 5: Add 1 cup each of flour, sugar and milk. Mash the bag until it is mixed well.
- Day 6: Mash the bag.
- Day 7: Mash the bag.
- Day 8: Mash the bag.
- Day 9: Mash the bag.
- Day 10: Pour the starter into a glass (or other nonmetal) bowl. Add 1½ cup each of all-purpose flour, granulated sugar and milk. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Divide out 1 cup portions of the starter, placing 4 one-cup portions in 4 separate zippered plastic bags.
- Seal the bags, and give them away to friends along with the instructions.
- With the remaining starter left in your bowl, you are ready to make Amish Friendship Bread. (Recipe Below)
Amish Friendship Bread Recipe
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 small box vanilla pudding (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- In a separate bowl mix 1 tsp cinnamon and 2 TBS sugar. Sprinkle half of this mixture into 2 well greased loaf pans. Pour batter on top of the mixture and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mix.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
How to bake bread but not make more starter on day 10?
Simply skip the adding of extra flour, sugar and milk & continue to the recipe
How can I skip bread baking day?
Feed your starter atleast 1/2 a cup each of flour, sugar and milk. Continue to follow the directions per day (start over with day #1)
Do I have to feed my starter as much flour on day 5?
No, you can do 1/2 a cup each of flour, sugar & milk on day 5 and repeat the process on day 10, 15 and 20 (baking bread on day 20)
How do I know if I have a healthy starter?
There should be atleast a few bubbles in your bag of starter. This is a great sign and shows that the fermentation process is working and you’ve got an active, healthy starter.
As I mentioned in the beginning this is super simple. As long as you keep the ratio correct, you shouldn’t mess anything up.
So have fun with it and explore all of the other options of Goody’s you can make with your friendship bread!
I hope you enjoyed todays post. Make sure to watch my latest video on my YouTube channel!